The introduction of French troops into the Itanian theater started with the Winterline battle The 2nd Maroccan Infantry Division arrived at Naple by 1st December 1943, and the 3rd Algerian Infantry Division was scheduled to arrive at the end of December. Both divisions have been trained in mountain fighting and both were aeger to vendicate the old glory of French Arms. While the 36th Division was attacking San Pietro Infine, the Vi Corps and in particolar the French 2nd Infantry Division was told to take to high ground east of Cardito, while the 45th Division was ordered to attack the peaks along the road to S. Elia. After had been successful in the first French-German encounter on the Italian front near Scapoli, the French were successful on Mount Pantano, on the Cerasuolo flat, Monna Casale. By the 21st December the troops of the VI Corps were running to Viticuso and Casale.
General Marck Clark decided to ask to the French General Juin to attack a very difficult area on the Gustav line, on the right side of Cairo massive.
Come and visit the Monte Cassino Battlefields with your family at a unique rate!
The " Monte Cassino Battlefield Tours for French" (about 3 hours) includes:
1) pickup from your arrival at the railway station in Cassino everyday at 10.00am or 02.00pm (Main Square, near the Green Kiosk)
2) about 3h30 guided tour of the French most meaningful sites of Cassino:
- Road from Conca Casale to Sant'Elia
- the Rapido River crossing on both sides of Sant'Elia
- Secco River in the Olivella Area and Gandoet Ravin
- Belvedere hill and Abate hill
- Caste Hill
- The Panoramic point
- The Germans' caves
- The Abbey of Montecassino.
3) return to the railway station in Cassino at 01.30pm or 05.30pm
Dr. Anna Maria Priora Ph.D
WW2 Monte Cassino Battlefield expert, researcher and tour guide